This Vegetarian Bowl is Fantastic. I added some grilled Tofu for added protein and flavor. If you are unsure as to what Bulgur is, you are not alone. Bulgur wheat has a mild and somewhat nutty taste. It is a very small grain compared to some others and has a chewy texture. This bowl is full of flavor along with extensive heart healthy benefits….Tip,make enough Bulgur and store in the refrigerator for up to five days as you can add it to tacos, salads, and even add some honey to it for a Sweet, Yet Healthy Treat. Happy Friday All, Cheers to a Safe and Healthy Weekend!!
Tofu & Veggie Bulgur Bowl
- 1 Cup Bulgur Choosing whole grains instead of refined varieties can lower your risk for heart disease. Whole-wheat bulgur is low in sodium; eating a diet of low-sodium foods helps prevent high blood pressure. High levels of total and LDL cholesterol in your blood increase your risk for heart disease, and eating whole grains, such as bulgur, may help lower your cholesterol levels as part of a healthy diet, according to Mayo Clinic.
- 2 Tablespoons Felippo Berio Olive Oil Olive oil helps decrease the total cholesterol and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seed Oil Sesame Oil is rich in mono- and polyunsaturated acids (PUFAs) -- the good kind of fat that cuts cholesterol.
- 1-2 Inches Grated Fresh Ginger This is supported by a study in hypothyroid rats, where ginger extract lowered LDL cholesterol to a similar extent as the cholesterol-lowering drug atorvastatin . Both studies also showed reductions in total cholesterol and blood triglycerides.
- 3 Cloves chopped Garlic Garlic offers a variety of benefits, from cardiovascular protection and also lowering LDL levels, triglycerides and lowering blood pressure.
- 1 Medium Sliced Yellow Onion Onion are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Some benefits may include reducing the risk of heart disease.
- 2 Sliced Zucchini Supports healthy circulation and a healthy heart. Zucchini is low in fat and sodium, but high in fiber and potassium. These properties help to maintain healthy blood circulation.
- 1 Head Broccoli Broccoli can significantly lower your bad cholesterol, LDL.
- 2 Cups Halved Brussel Sprouts They are high in fiber and antioxidants which are both imperative for great heart health.
- Handful Fresh Sliced Grape Tomatoes Tomatoes have two key nutrients that have a big impact on heart health: lycopene and potassium. Some research shows that lycopene may lower LDL, or “bad” cholesterol.
- 1 Sliced Orange/Red Bell Pepper These are a particularly good choice for heart health as they are full of lycopene, which is not found in green peppers. They are also a source of cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber and powerful antioxidant vitamins A and C, which are good for heart health
- 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu/Cubed Only a few studies specifically look at tofu's effects on heart health. However, research has shown that a high intake of legumes, including soy, is linked to lower rates of heart disease. Tofu contains saponins, compounds thought to have protective effects on heart health.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Basin Blend or Mrs. Dash Seasoning, either Fiesta Lime or a Spicy Pepper Blend
- 3-4 Dashes Sea Salt
- Add 1 cup bulgur to 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes or until tender. Drain off excess liquid. Makes 2 to 2-1/2 cups. Set aside.
- First, add Sesame Oil to a grill pan or skillet and saute the tofu over a medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing and flipping gently, then set aside.
- Next, add olive oil, grated ginger, and ALL veggies to a skillet and sauté over a medium head for 10-12 minutes until browned.
- Make your bowl, bottom with bulgar, then add veggies, tofu, and top with cashews and Enjoy this Super Heart Healthy Vegetarian Bowl!!!