I realize there is a stark contrast here, Chicago & Miami, well Weather Wise, but I decided to blend the two and the taste is phenomenal. Who needs warm weather and a grill to have BBQ Chicken Sandwiches?? Not me!! I am a native Chicagoan, with Some Bourbon, and a Dutch Oven. As a Chicagoan, come August, majority of us want the same things, Football, Cooler Weather, Boots, Sweaters & Jeans, and Indoor meals….. AND just like that come January, we are craving for the Warmth of the Sun, Shorts, T-Shirts, and some BBQ. I promise you will love this Easy, One Pot, Chicago Style Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sandwich on Miami Onion Bread….Enjoy!!!
Bourbon BBQ Chicken on Miami Onion Bread
- 6 Bone in Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 10 Grinds Fresh Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme A study found that an extract was able to significantly reduce heart rate in rats with high blood pressure, and it was also able to lower their cholesterol.
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Cup Very Old Barton Bourbon
- 2 Tablespoons Felippo Berio Olive Oil Olive oil helps decrease the total cholesterol and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels
- 3 Cloves Chopped Garlic Garlic offers a variety of benefits, from cardiovascular protection and also lowering LDL levels, triglycerides and lowering blood pressure.
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Onion are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Some benefits may include reducing the risk of heart disease.
- 3 Tablespoons Whole Wheat or White Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ
- 1 Head Cabbage The high polyphenol content in cabbage might reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by preventing platelet buildup and reducing blood pressure.
- 1 Avocado Adding an avocado to your daily diet may help lower bad cholesterol, in turn reducing risk for heart disease, according to health researchers.
- 1 Jar Pickles
- 1 Sliced Red Onion
- 1 Bag Purple Brussel Sprouts Purple Brussel Sprouts are slightly nutty and have a much sweeter flavor than their green counterparts. They are high in fiber and antioxidants which are both imperative for great heart health.
- 1 Package Onion Rolls
- First, make your rub and coat your chicken thighs. Cover and place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Next, remove from the refrigerator. Then, in a Dutch Oven, add your olive oil, garlic, onion, and chicken and sear each side for two minutes on high. Then, add your bourbon and reduce to a low heat.
- Cook for 25 minutes on low then add your bbq sauce and flour and stir then cover. Cook an additional 20-25 minutes, stirring at least once or twice.
- The total time should be 45-50 minutes, remove from heat, and cool a bit. Then remove the chicken from the pot and shred.
- Layering your sandwich from the bottom bread, cabbage, chicken, pickles, avocado, red onions, and top with grated cheddar cheese.....So Delicious...Enjoy!!!
- Steam or cook the brussel sprouts in the microwave with water, slice, and add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and serve as a side to your sandwich.